Old January 23rd 16, 09:13 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Spike[_3_] Spike[_3_] is offline

Default A historical regret.

On 23/01/2016 08:31, Ian Jackson wrote:
writes

S640 was my first RX....still got one ....

The R107 was my first RX - bought in 1958 for 13 pounds 10 shillings,
plus 1 pound 10 shillings carriage. I remember the evening it arrived.
I've still got it - on the desk, about 3 ' away from me. [Well, I have
to use something to keep the desk from floating in the air.]

My first RX was an R208, which I had in time to enjoy the massive
propagation year of 1957[1]. Had to tun it from a 6V battery at first as
at that time there wasn't electricity in the shed/greenhouse I shared
with my dad. AFAIK the R208 was the receiver part of an AA
regiment-level comms system, it must have been a nice quiet background
on the higher band. The WS17 was used for AA battery comms, but I never
had one of those.

[1] Never been a sunspot max like it since, and not likely to be. US AM
stations were wall-to-wall on 10m, and I enjoyed listening to RSA on
25.800 Mc/s.

--
Spike

"They thought that because they had power, they had wisdom"

- with apologies to Stephen Vincent Benet