Old January 25th 16, 11:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Backlash?

In message , The Scottish Idiot ...
writes

"gareth" wrote in message
Is backlash in tuning mechanisms necessarily a problem, because
a little bit of looseness in the drive means that an accidental nudge of
the
tuning control won't cause a frequency change, as it would if
tightly-coupled and backlash free?

you trained for backlash on a Trio 9R59D ...

A good training ground, as it also suffered from considerable drift.

In the late 60s, an SWL lived a couple of doors from me, and he had a
9R59D. I spent quite some time rebuilding a lot of the VFO - better
capacitors, stouter wiring and, of course, I also fitted the 'optional'
neon stabiliser. It appeared to be a lot better. A few weeks later I
asked him how he was getting on with it - only to find that he had sold
it!

--
Ian