Old February 3rd 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Copper/Aluminum Connection

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Here's a situation I haven't encountered before
and which I know little about.

I am building a magnetic loop antenna and have
an assembly which includes a capacitor and drive motor ideally suited for
the antenna. My problem is that the assembly is welded to an aluminum
mount. I want to attach a copper tubing loop to the mount which will
connect the loop to the motor driven capacitor.

My concern is the matter of dissimilar metals i.e. copper and aluminum
being joined. I would prefer to be able to bolt the assembly to the
copper tubing using star washers to reduce the joint resistance.

Here are my concerns:
1. What about rectification at the dissimilar metals joint? Is it going
to cause problems? Is it of any real concern?

3. Can the copper be welded to the aluminum mount for better joint
conduction? This is a last resort for me as it would mean taking the
assembly to a place where the welding, if possible, could be done.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions which would be greatly
welcomed.

Irv, VE6BP
RADIATE OR DIE TRYING!!

I read somewhere that the aluminum and copper should be seperated by
stainless steel to prevent problems.