Old February 9th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
rickman rickman is offline

Default An SDR or DDS question?

On 2/9/2016 9:36 AM, Brian Reay wrote:
On 09/02/16 13:36, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

And I suppose you learned about exothermic reactions in a World History
class.

No.

In the United States, computer languages are taught in Computer Science
courses, not Chemistry.

Well, it seems not in Rickman's Uni/College.

lt wasn't a class in computer programming, it was a lab course with
multiple 2 week topics. Being an undergraduate class the idea was to
give you a taste of a variety of topics. So 2 weeks was just enough to
allow you to write terrible FORTRAN programs. Likewise the CS
department taught a lecture class which spent two weeks on each of
several languages. I recall struggling with Lisp until a few days
before the end of the two weeks when the light bulb finally lit and
programming became easy. In the chem lab I also took 2 weeks of metal
shop where I operated a lathe.

One of my best programming classes was in EE, "Structured Programming".
The ideas in that class have stuck with me ever since.

It certainly isn't the case here. You could be enrolled/registered as,
say, a Chemistry student and taught a course in, say, programming you
would require by the Computer Dept. Just as I was an Engineering Student
and, like all engineers, required to do some Maths courses taught by the
Maths dept. My youngest, completed a 4 year Masters in Chemistry
recently (she is now doing a PhD). She was required, at least in the
first year (and possibly more, I don't recall) to do some Maths courses,
they were taught by the Maths Dept. I helped her with a couple of things
and noticed the dept. name etc. on the material. Likewise, her twin is a
Medical Student. She had to do at least one Law module (or perhaps
more)- that is taught in by the Law dept.

At Univ of MD the Physics department had three different series of
undergraduate physics classes. Two semesters for the Chem majors, three
semesters for the Engineering majors and four semesters for the Physics
majors. I took the Engineering sequence "just in case".

My Eldest is a Law Graduate, she has an LLB and a Masters, studied in
France- the two degrees were linked. She was required to do some French
courses, they were taught in the Language dept in the UK. She was
'Called to the Bar' (not something you have in the US as I understand
it) some time ago.

What the "Bar"? Yes, we call it that as well.

--

Rick