Old February 11th 16, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Helmut Wabnig[_2_] Helmut Wabnig[_2_] is offline

Default Vertical AM and SW antennas

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 05:58:45 +0000, maisradios
wrote:

Hello. Hopefully someone can clarify the following question. I have a
passive antenna for coverage of the frequencies of about 100khz to about
30 MHz. It's a 6 foot antenna, vertical made by the defunct RF Systems
Co. Holland.
It uses a feeder of Coax cable with 2 PL259s. The connection at bottom
of antenna has an SO 239. I get pretty good results with this antenna
and is not too noisy. My question is how to build an antenna like this
as I have no way to cut open the antenna and visualize what's inside,
unless I want to ruin the antenna. Would you think they use a coil of
wire inside the unit? If so, I wonder how much wire is there? And
finally the SO 239 at bottom of antenna unit means there would be a
ground inside the unit? Would this be another wire?
Any clarification on these questions would be appreciated.
Best regards to all.
Jerry

There is a coil (actually a transformer) in the base of the antenna.
Otherwise it would not work properly with different lenght cables.

What is the name of the thing, any label on it?

w.