Old February 16th 16, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur
Sal M. O'Nella Sal M. O'Nella is offline

Default Atmosphere

"gareth" wrote in message ...

The standing wave caused by reflection from the open end of a short antenna
will not cover a full quarter cycle, and therefore the radiation must be
reduced
accordingly.

But that fits in with my opinion that the atmosphere / environment/
lumeniferous aether / or
whatever needs in some way to be excited or twisted by the EM field of the
antenna, hence
my suggestion that you quoted above

Perhaps that is so but it isn't a conclusion I would immediately draw.

While it might be an interesting discussion topic, knowing with certainty
(one way or the other) would not affect how we work our compatriots near and
far on the radio.