Old March 2nd 16, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Williams Reg Williams is offline

Default Inmarsat L band Antenna problem

I have been trying for some time to decode L band signals from the Inmarsat satellite 3-F2 with no success. I am located 20 miles west of Gloucester UK.Lat 51 degrees N.
There are no obstacles as far as I am aware to block the signal at 30 degrees elevation. The antenna is pointing in the direction of 54 degrees west. So I guess it may be down to the equipment. This is a 60cm dish with a Log periodic pcb antenna 850-6500Mhz manufactured by WA5VJB pointing at the dish. A short coax length is connected to the antenna via a pcb mount sma connector to a LNA4All Low Noise Amplifier and then to a rtl 2832u r820t dongle plugged into my laptop. The software is sdrsharp. I have tried receiving signals generally around 1.545 Ghz. Not sure about the log periodic. I guess the fact there is a short circuit when using an ohm meter between the outer and inner soldering points before fitting the sma connector is part of the characteristic of the antenna. From info I have read, the signal is quite strong and can be picked up easily, so it seems strange I cannot pick it up. Any thoughts or guidance i would be grateful.
Thanks
Reg