View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old March 7th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2016
Default Inmarsat L band Antenna problem

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 10:26:29 PM UTC, Reg Williams wrote:
I have been trying for some time to decode L band signals from the Inmarsat satellite 3-F2 with no success. I am located 20 miles west of Gloucester UK.Lat 51 degrees N.
There are no obstacles as far as I am aware to block the signal at 30 degrees elevation. The antenna is pointing in the direction of 54 degrees west.. So I guess it may be down to the equipment. This is a 60cm dish with a Log periodic pcb antenna 850-6500Mhz manufactured by WA5VJB pointing at the dish. A short coax length is connected to the antenna via a pcb mount sma connector to a LNA4All Low Noise Amplifier and then to a rtl 2832u r820t dongle plugged into my laptop. The software is sdrsharp. I have tried receiving signals generally around 1.545 Ghz. Not sure about the log periodic. I guess the fact there is a short circuit when using an ohm meter between the outer and inner soldering points before fitting the sma connector is part of the characteristic of the antenna. From info I have read, the signal is quite strong and can be picked up easily, so it seems strange I cannot pick it up. Any thoughts or guidance i would be grateful.
Thanks
Reg

Thank you Jeff And Sal for your very helpful and informative comments and guides to further information. I see i have a long way to go to receiving Inmarsat signals. The setup i have relates to a video on Youtube, Inmarsat reception by "MegaOscarVideos using the log periodic antenna and satellite dish. I will continue to experiment and try the the adjustment of the feed point to the focal point of the dish and may go on to try alternative antennas and lna suggested by Jeff.
Reg