Old March 24th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's In a Name -- Of My Antenna?

On 24 Mar 2016 14:02:38 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 18:29:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Will you settle for uninformed speculation and reverse engineering?
Even the invention of RADAR was originally inspired by an attempt to
produce a suitable "death ray".

Uninformed speculation, indeed.

Yep. Garbage in. Dogma out.

But, I'm sure once RADAR started being developed and improved,
the military brains of the era thought/sought to weaponize it.

Don't be so sure. The original idea in 1939 was to build a death ray
that would cook the pilot of an attacking German airplane. The
calculations were done and it was determined to be impossible. So,
Watson-Watt asked "What can we do to help". Arnold Wilkins recalled
that it was possible to detect an airplane when it created multipath
interference patterns as the airplane flew between the transmitter and
receiver. A field test was arranged, it worked, and the rest it
history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radar
"...had read about a German newspaper article claiming that
the Germans had built a death ray using radio signals,
accompanied by an image of a very large radio antenna."

This video covers the early RADAR development quite nicely.
"The Secret War_2 To See for a Hundred Miles_complete "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPwDicTQVBo (50 min)

Nano-drivel: The maximum width of a boat at the water line is called
the vessel "beam". The -3dB width of an antenna pattern is called the
"beam width". Avast ye scurvy dogs connect the dots.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D