Old March 26th 16, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's In a Name -- Of My Antenna?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 21:24:45 -0700, "Sal M. O'Nella"
wrote:

I don't know the correct definition, but my definition is an antenna array
with inline elements.
Those elements can be parasitic or driven. And they can be dipoles, quads,
triangles or whatever.

My definition of an antenna is a matching transformer which matched
the output impedance of a transmitter, with that of free space (377
ohms). Convention has it to name the antenna after the designer. In
this case, Shintaro Uda was the student assistant who designed the
antenna, while Hidetsugu Yagi was his university instructor. Uda
published a paper on the design in Japanese, which nobody seemed to
have noticed. A few years later, Yagi translated the paper into
English, which finally got some attention. Its publication resulted
in the antenna being called a Yagi antenna by the American press. Yagi
repeatedly reminded everyone that it was Uda who had designed the
antenna, and deserved the credit. However, the best that could be
done was the Yagi-Uda contraction, which is awkward and backwards.

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/Yagi_Uda_antenna.html
"Despite the fact that Hidetsugu Yagi never took credit for
the antenna's design, it was his name that the American press
used to refer to the concept."

http://www.radiocomms.com.au/content/industry/article/yagi-the-man-behind-the-antenna-647231587
"The technology is all down to Prof Hidetsugu Yagi and his
assistant Shintaro Uda; more to Uda than Yagi, in fact, so
strictly speaking the design should be known as the Uda antenna,
or at least Yagi-Uda."

Incidentally, I have an FM broadcast Yagi-Uda antenna on my roof that
was made by the Yagi-Uda Antenna Company (or something like that).
I'll see if I can find the documentation and post a copy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D