Old March 31st 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Wig Wag transmitter

Hank wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
What about Seely? That's what we used in my freshman EE class and it seemed
pretty good.

If the Seely text you are talking about is "Electronic Engineering"
(McGraw-Hill, 1956), yes, that is a good text, and much better than
Terman's 4th edition (also 1956). Millman-Seely "Electronics" (1941) is
also reasonably good. Seely 1956, along with Millman & Taub "Pulse and
Digital Circuits" 1956---these are after my "initial training" time.
Also Korn&Korn (1952) on analog computers and op amps. I acquired
these texts back in the mid-late 1950's, but in 1956, I was already
working for James Millen. A lot of my thinking about EE training in
that era came from teaching in Tektronix 1962-64, and what we had to
focus on to bring a new-hire experienced engineer up to speed on the
"Tekronix Way." I still call that "All the stuff that's not in Terman
and Radar Electronic Fundamentals."

I was thinking of Seely's _Electron Tube Circuits_ which is the first time
I actually saw the method of load lines. I'd fixed TV sets and done the
military electronics training and thought I had a good idea of how the
thing worked until I read Seely.

Korn and Korn is an interesting book about techniques that basically don't
exist any longer, whereas anything in Seely or in the Radiotron handbook
is probably still in use with jfets.

I still remember having a design review of something that included a
built-up 2N222 type "or" circuit that was bogging down until I realized
that none of my reviewers understood basic transistors. That was ca. 1970.
It was "back to basics" time to deal with that.

Don't worry, the same thing is true today. Now they know digital circuits
but not transistors...
--scott