Old April 21st 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] cheukhin.tse@gmail.com is offline

Default External aerial for 4G+ (LTE Advanced) [Relish.net] Router

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 17:59:53 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 27 April 2015 21:28:56 UTC+1, Jim wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask..

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

TIA

Hi, I don't think installing an antenna to gain better signal is illegal, but for those mobile signal booster which repeat the mobile signal that was original in the air. because we don't have the permission to re broadcast the signal in that particular frequency. For you properly just wanted to receive better signal not rebroadcasting it. By the way i am a relish customer as well and i did the mod that you wanted and working perfectly fine. I am guessing you are no longer using relish as you got 1 bar of signal you must getting a lot of disconnection.

By the way, for the coax cable you need RG58/u( you should be able to get it in maplin). For the antenna, geoffery is right it is basically a wimax antenna but you see this modem is a 2x2 mimo system, you need two antennas or a 2x2 mimo antenna. I would suggest a 2x2 mimo directional patch antenna(3300mhz-3800mhz). For the connection, you need a ufl to sma or rpsma connection, I reckon you know it(or google it.)

I am currently using http://www.acantenna.com/pro_view/&productId=905.html and it is working great. they took five days to make and 2 days to UK using DHL express. Enjoy. I got 75mbps dl sometime, weird. Don't try to get too high gain unless you are able to put it up on the top of your building.

There is also a way to identified estimate the location of the mast you connecting not sure if it is right but. Basically you check the lat long of your ipaddress then plot it in google then you will get a spot on google maps and point your antenna to that direction. It works for me.