Old May 22nd 16, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur
Spike[_3_] Spike[_3_] is offline

Default When did ignorance overcome education, for the correct plural is,"antennae"?

On 21/05/2016 23:45, Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:
On 21/05/2016 11:20, Ian Jackson wrote:

In the UK, I think it's only some of the more-esoteric scientific
research boffins in WW2 who would have used 'antenna' and 'antennae'.

When R V Jones wrote his report on the Luftwaffe's X-Gerate navigation
and bombing system, he included a photograph of a Heinkel 111 annotated
with arrows pointing to the three aerials of the system, which he had
labelled 'X-Beam antennae'.

Yes, I think it has more to do with the kind of education one has had
(in school, or self-selected), than to with with being 'esoteric' or a
'boffin'. In fact, the very term 'boffin' is rarely heard except when
used by the wilfully ignorant (those who think football is important for
instance) about people who seem cleverer than themselves.

Ian, I think you've just been savaged by a dead sheep.

--
Spike

Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness.
It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a
worthy purpose - Helen Keller