Old May 30th 16, 05:34 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob Wilson Bob Wilson is offline

Default The Morse Key with a switch

On 5/30/2016 3:30 AM, gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 wrote:
"Bob Wilson" wrote in message
On 5/29/2016 4:39 PM, gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 wrote:
Suddenly it has clicked after setting up the IC728 for Jim - the reason
that some Morse keys had a shorting switch must have been to
provide a continuous key-down position for tuning the TX and ATU!

At least in the US:
The switch, e.g. on a J-38 key from WWII, dates from before there were
tube circuits to be peaked or dipped! On the old telegraph lines, the
ancestors of current loop circuits, all the keys and sounders on a large
network were simply in series, with a battery also in the circuit. If your
key were open, then nobody else could "talk". So you had to short the key
when not actually sending. And of course as soon as a switch like that is
a "tradition" it is likely to appear on devices long after that need has
disappeared.
Bob Wilson, WA9D
(I think Gareth really meant that as a complaint about some of the
always-key-down operators, and I would agree! But I could not leave it
alone.)

Perchance you are the same Bob Wilson living in Portishead 50 years ago?

Gareth,
Sorry, I can't claim ever to have been there. I've only been anywhere in
Britain for a few weeks, years ago, and I did not get that far south and
west even then. (But the 50 years ago part would work...) I'd like to
get back but at my age and with my health problems it does not seem likely.
Bob Wilson, WA9D