Old January 2nd 04, 01:21 AM
JGBOYLES

Dan wrote:
What's your question to the group?
http://www.morsex.com/dipole/index.htm
ripping up coax and putting flatwire in, as recently as 1998, we
regular folks should perish such thought, as one shouldn't even expect
to be able to buy flatwire anymore, without great effort.

Hi Dan, 300 ohm line is available from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes ect.
last time I checked. May not be in your part of the world however :-(
flatwire is such a losing
proposition, just like vacuum tubes, that it needn't even be available

anymore.

Well, if it gets to the point that only a few hundred Hams use it for their
dipole antennas, the market will dry up. I think there are still enough OTA
home TV installations to keep 300 ohm line for at least a few more years.
Even if the 300 ohm stuff goes away, it is quite easy to homebrew. Also 450
ohm line, which is readily available, is slightly preferable from a performance
standpoint.
Concerning the link you provided: That was a good tutuorial on basic dipole
construction. After you have done it a couple times, you are an expert, it's
not that difficult. I do question the use of a 1:4 balun before the tuner.
The balun will seldom see it's design impedance with an antenna of this type.
A 1:1 current balun would be a better choice IMO. This has been discussed
before on this group, do a search.

73 Gary N4AST