Old January 4th 05, 03:06 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Well, if you like to build things and are thinking about something
along the lines of a J-Pole, I have something that I have made about
50 of for my friends who just love having them.

It's a self-standing full sized J-Pole that fits into your pocket or
backpack and does NOT need to be hung from something like the wire
ribbon version.

Construction is simple, but does require welding as the unit is made
from arced spring steel and 1/2 of an 8 ounce paint can.

The antenna and coax fit inside the can, which doubled as the
Horizontal member of a J-Pole.

I purposely used a specially manufactured 4 ounce can suited for this
purpose, with an opening tab (like on the old tobacco cans), that the
lid itself became the horizontal member and would fit snugly to the
bottom of the can for extra weight and support.

But the elements themselves are simple to come by. On 440 antenna's I
used 3/4 inch tape measure spring steel and on 2-meter antenna's I
used 1 inch tape measure spring steel.
You can buy tape measures or order the painted or unpainted steel in
rolls from a supplier.

These are welded to the removable lid so that they roll inward and fit
into the can when not in use.

To use the antenna, you affix the lid to the base and unroll the
vertical and stub completely. They will stay open by themselves.

I also added 4 little arms about 2 inches long each on later antennas,
that could be opened from the lid to give a larger 6 inch wide
footprint to keep it from toppling over on the picnic table if it was
a little windy to stay upright by itself.

It was a fun project, and everyone that got one put them to good use,
especially on Field Day and Fox Hunts.

TTUL
Gary