Old July 2nd 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella Sal M. O'Nella is offline

Default Scope of the term "Amateur"

"rickman" wrote in message ...

The term "amateur" is often applied to people who have obtained a
license to use radio equipment for communications. Is this term
inclusive of those who don't obtain a license but use receivers for
various uses?

I have been looking into design of receivers in the LF to ELF frequency
ranges. Is this part of "amateur" radio?

I would say no. Can we term such people radio experimenters, please?

There are certainly radio experimenters who neither need or want to hold
licenses to use the amateur bands and I have NO objection to their choice
of what they want to build and try. I think the folks who hold ham licenses
can legitimately lay claim to the moniker "radio amateur."

I wish language had the same certainties as, say, physics. It doesn't.
Language has wiggle room and we're stuck with it.

"Sal"