Old July 4th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Scope of the term "Amateur"

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Jeff wrote:

I forgot to mumble something about which bands require an amateur
license and which do not under Part 15. The lowest frequency band
that requires a ham license is 160 meters (1.8 to 2.0 MHz).
http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations

That of course depends on which country you live in.

In the UK 137kHz is an band that requires an amateur licence, with a power
limit of 1W ERP (a significant difference to 1W into the PA stage)!!

427 to 479kHz is also an amateur band in the UK with a 5W erp limit

I think the US is a tad behind, but that may have already changed.

Here in Canada we definitely have one of the new LF bands, but I can't
remember the details.

As long ago as WARC 79 there was talk of making that low frequency license
free band a ham band, so finally that's come to fruition, more or less.

Michael