Old July 4th 16, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default Scope of the term "Amateur"

rickman wrote:
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't see what the difference is between
"license" and "registration". Both require passing a test, getting a
call sign and paying a yearly fee, even if the fee is less and the test
easier to pass and picking your own call sign. What am I missing?

There is no real difference, but it is felt that way by some.
Note that most of the regulations that originally were attached to the
license have been dropped. Essentially the authorities don't care
what you do, as long as you do it within the bands and with proper
identification. About the only exception is willful interference to
others and unattended/automated transmission. For that, a license is
still required and issued.