Old August 16th 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Backpack antenna for 2m

wrote in message

I see a need for an antenna (hopefully made using 3/4 in tape measure) that
would be attached to a backpack for use in assisting Search and Rescue
personnel. In most cases the radio operator would be using an HT pushing
5-8 watts. I've considered a tape measure j-pole and a 1/2 wave dipole. I
could see going with a longer vertical element and using a wire
counterpoise "weaved" throughout the exterior of the backpack. If you will,
think back to the antennas used with military's Man Portable radios such
as the PRC77.

I'm open to any thoughts, advice, or "been there, done that" info.

Thank you,

KE5EXX

Is this a "soft" backpack or a frame type with aluminum tubing and
compartments?

For the frame type, I've used a CB antenna mount designed for putting on a
side mirror.
The antenna was a whip with spring at the bottom.

Do the SAR folks wear protective head gear? I've seen metal hats that have
an antenna connector on top for a rubber duckie.