Old August 22nd 16, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Loop Antenna Polarization

On 2016-08-20, rickman wrote:
I've been studying loop antennas for some time now and I don't recall a
mention of polarization. I would think that a loop antenna mounted
vertically would provide a vertically polarized signal. Is that right?

Fed at the bottom it is horizontal polarization. Fed on the side it becomes
vertical polarization. You might also enjoy looking at vertical delta loops
and the way they can be mounted and fed.

Now that makes sense, the same thing happens with quad antennas.

But, there is the case of loops with the area placed in parallel with the
earth. Those are horizontally polarized. I'm suddenly blank about what
they were called, but fifty years ago it wasn't uncommon to see such
horizontal loops on cars, for 2M and 6M use, since this was before FM so
"base" antennas were generally horizontally polarized.

Michael