Old August 22nd 16, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Loop Antenna Polarization

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Pat wrote:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 23:18:39 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ple.org,
says...

But, there is the case of loops with the area placed in parallel with the
earth. Those are horizontally polarized. I'm suddenly blank about what
they were called, but fifty years ago it wasn't uncommon to see such
horizontal loops on cars, for 2M and 6M use, since this was before FM so
"base" antennas were generally horizontally polarized.

Michael

They were called halos. They were horizontal polarized. If mounted a
fraction of a wavelength over a conducting surface then they became DDRR
antennas (directional discontinuity ring radiator)and vertical
polarized.

Don't forget Squalos (same as halos, but the loop was squared off). I
have no idea why I remember that. Must have been advertised in QST.

It all came back in the middle of the night. I think the Squalo was a
commercial antenna, from Hygain or whatever. But the halo was in the
antenna books too, so you could build or buy. I still have a Saturn 6 in
the basement, a stacked set of 3 halos.

Michael