Old August 31st 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default U dipoles

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Yeah. Search for V antenna on the Web. A V antenna has some gain
pointing approximately away from the apex. Your description indicates
that you might warm the clouds. Jimp's suggestion is a good one.

I know about th emodling programs and have played with a few that
already have the elements in them. Just have not seen one for the U
shaped one like I have. I am not too familiar on how to enter elements
that are not streight. Come to think of it, I guess I could enter it
just as a V shape like the inverted V antennas are.

The V antennas that have gain I am thinking of are usully horizontal
and several wavelengths long.

---

A dipole with no support in the middle and the weight of the cable will
be close enough to straight for all practicle purpose.

If you support in the middle, the wire on each side will take the shape
of a Catenary. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

You can, from the above, plot what the shape will be and approximate
with two or three straight lines for either side.

--
Jim Pennino