Old November 11th 03, 10:24 PM
Dave Bushong

Dan Jacobson wrote:

What are the prospects of learning morse code at 15 WPM at age 45?

[details, and lots of replies snipped]

I learned Morse code when I was a kid (Cub Scouts), and it was like a
"secret code." I met many great friends on the air while I was a
teenager, in fact, one of whom had to sneak his CW key and speaker into
his closet in order to make our daily sched because his report card got
him 'grounded' in 7th grade.

Then, I used it as a way to get a high score on CW contests, where so
many people never go -- and that weakens the competition. I also use it
to see what they are saying on the WW2 movie clips that show people
sending Morse light signals on ships at sea.

The point? I never used a computer program to learn code. Fortunately,
they didn't exist. But it's not a video game; it's interaction with
another human!

Find a way to make it interesting, and not a way to become a modem
savant: learn the letters, and then try to decode a conversation
between two people. Just like if you want to learn a new language, you
study a little, and then turn to the Spanish channel! You get one word
out of a hundred, and then two, and then three...... It's interesting,
and fun. Something is happening, and you can join in.

You will never learn and/or love something new until you trick yourself
into enjoying it ahead of time.

Hope this helps. And Dan, If you want to reply to me personally, it is
my callsign (kz1o) at arrl.org

All the best, and 73,
Dave
KZ1O