Old January 1st 17, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim[_21_] Jim[_21_] is offline

Default External aerial for 4G+ (LTE Advanced) [Relish.net] Router

On 31/03/2016 19:33, Airpoint wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 9:28:56 PM UTC+1, Jim wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is OT guys but you do seem the best people to ask.

The part of London I live in has rubbish ISP speeds (4 mbit) and I have
been offered an old Relish.net router which is a Gemtek WLTFSR-115GN, I
know some of these have external aerial sockets (US ones I think) but
the version I will get does not have any external sockets, so it's a
case of go inside and try to figure out some way of connecting an
external aerial, now the reason I need an external one is I am right on
the edge of their coverage and only get a single bar using just the
router, I do have some images of the inside of the router so I will post
the links for them later, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard
of this being done in the UK?

TIA

Hey @Jim,
A year went by and I'm in the very same situation as you were a year ago 😁
Been browsing through eBay but can't decide which antenna would be suitable to connect to the Relish Gemtek router. Did you find any good? Also, did you connect a separate antenna for each connector aka two antennas?

Thanks

Rising from the dead this one.

No i didn't use the Gemtek router and hack it with an external antenna,
one reason was the legal side.
In the end i bought a Huawei CPE B222s and it's outdoor antenna for just
over £50, you have to understand i'm very green with this issue but from
my understanding, i just throw the antenna up and plug in the SIM card
to it as well as a CAT5 cable and that will feed into the router and
away you go, I still need to buy the pole it will be mounted to and a
few other bits but it "should" be simple, I have no idea where you are
based but local to me a fair bit of work is being done but nothing for
me for at least 12 months so took the leap to buy new hardware.
I did have a link for someone who had done the mod to the Relish router
and fitted an external antenna, i will try to dig it up for you, also
there is a 3 old relish routers for sale on ebay right now so maybe grab
a cheap to play with as i presume the relish router you get with them
will remain their property

Jim