Old January 3rd 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default External aerial for 4G+ (LTE Advanced) [Relish.net] Router

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:11:27 -0500, rickman wrote:

How do you get a lat long for your IP? The only info I can find points
to my Internet provider rather than myself. Some of the locations
provided are hundreds of miles from here.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-providers
See the user reported accuracy chart near the bottom of the page.
Notice that about 15% of those reporting show locations 1000+ km off.
From my house, I show some obscure location in the hills about 15
miles away. From my office, about 6 miles off. If you're using
satellite internet (Exede, HughesNet, etc), give up now, the
geolocation software often returns non-routeable IP's or the location
of the ground station or gateway. Basically, IP location is useless
unless augmented with GPS and a decent location database.

I have no experience with 4G+ yet, so I have no clue how that works.
However, if you know the tower ID and it's location, you can at least
determine the general area.
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3760/63/
Crowd-sourced location databases are not perfect, but sometimes work
as long as users are not contributing intentionally erronious data.

Mo
http://whatismyipaddress.com/geolocation-accuracy

--
Jeff Liebermann