Old March 14th 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
John Savard John Savard is offline

Default A Modest Proposal to Save Five-Level Code

As the value of five-level code is that it is more compact than the 7-bit ASCII
code, it is important to minimize the number of times one has to use two
characters to do what ASCII can do with one.

So, upon reflection, I think I have not been bold enough in one area.

I now think that UC and LC should be swapped with CR and LF, thus relegating
carriage return and line feed to the figures shift, but giving two full five-bit
codes to UC and LC, as they are likely to be used frequently.

John Savard