Old November 16th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
DxCoffee DxCoffee is offline

Default VP8DPK/p/qrp South Georgia Island & W7AUM/p Antarc;ica

News from˙OPDX - Ohio/Penn DX Special Bulletin:

"Chuck, W7AUM, is currently on an expedition˙cruise on the "National Geographic Explorer" from November 9-29th. He˙sent the following to OPDX on November 15th:

"Last night on the gray˙line I made my first two contacts from the ship as for the first time˙20m and 15m˙ opened up a little.

˙ Today (Tuesday) in the morning, I set up the KX3 on the Salisbury Plain˙on the north coast of South Georgia. I could hear Cypress Island and some˙European stations but even with continuous CQ I couldn't get a come-back.

˙ Our second landing was on Prion Island where we only allowed one hour˙on shore and had to stay on a raised path. The beach was filled with˙aggressive fir seals so no time or place to set up there.

˙ If conditions allow I will try again at our next stop at 14.285 SSB˙with VP8PDK/P/QRP. I don't know where we will be tomorrow but if I can˙operate it will be between 1200˙ and 1800 UTC. South Georgia is 6 hours˙ahead of Seattle and 2 hours behind UTC. If I am lucky enough to make˙some contacts I'll ask them to spot me. There is very slow email and

internet on the ship and of course note at any of the islands we are˙visiting so it is hard to precisely say when I will be on the air."

˙ Remember, Chuck will only operate from South Georgia Island between˙November 15-19th. Also, look for him to operate from the Antarctica˙as W7AUM/P between November 22-26th. Suggested QRP frequencies when on˙land a 7285, 14285, 21285, 28385 or 28885 kHz. He states,

"I will try˙these same frequencies when I am operating Maritime Mobile on the National

Geographic Explorer.

Chuck told OPDX [edited], "The rig I am using is˙VP8LP';s Yaesu while in Stanley, Falklands. Otherwise I am using an Elecraft

KX3. The Power: high power from Stanley, 100 watts from the ship; 10-15˙watts when portable. Antennas: 3 element SteppIR from VP8LP';s QTH; dipole˙from the ship, wire antenna on a 30′ pole with counterpoise when portable.

Modes: Phone."

No Web page, no ClubLog and no LoTW.

QSL via his home˙callsign."

http://www.dxcoffee.com/eng/2016/vp8...mp-antarctica/