Old December 18th 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx
KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [KB6NU] December 2016 Michigan Section News

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

December 2016 Michigan Section News

Here are some select items from Larry, WB8R, our esteemed Section Manager:
Hamfest at Michigan International Speedway

We have assembled our management team and are beginning the process
of*putting the pieces together to form our parent organization, which
will*be known as the Great Lakes Amateur Radio Association, which will be
a*501 (c) (3) corporation. We have settled on the dates of October 7 and*8,
2017 for our event at MIS.

In the past couple of months I have visited 8 club meetings to talk*about
the event and am very pleased to report all clubs were very*positive and
excited about the event. I have more club meetings to*attend in the next
2-3 months to complete the process of getting the*assistance that we need.

Flyers and other documentation are under development and will be*available
for distribution soon. Stay tuned for more information as*this exciting
event comes to life.
I think this could be a very interesting development, and I look forward to
seeing more detailsDan
Michigan Distracted Driving Bill

The Michigan Distracted Driving bill that was known as HB 6857 will
be*reintroduced in the 2017 Legislative session under a new number. We*will
be monitoring the bill to ensure that our ability to operate our*equipment
from our vehicles is not affected.
Michigan State Parks on the Air (MSPOTA)

Beginning in the spring of 2017, MSPOTA will run through 2019
and*incorporate Michigan’s 107 State Parks, Recreation Areas, Scenic
and*Memorial Sites. Our target date for startup is March 1. Starting
prior*to that is problematical in that Park Staff would be limited.*MSPOTA
goes beyond “pulling up and keying up” as it is a*cooperative program
between Michigan amateur radio operators and DNR*Parks & Recreation
Division to mutually promote one another’s*interests.

MSPOTA is designed to allow regional and statewide activation*opportunities
throughout the event and is coordinated with other MDNR*Parks & Recreation
Division programs. *The event will feature about*fifty parks available for
activation in each of the three event years*with some parks active
throughout the entire event.

The schedule is being finalized and will be available after the first*of
the year. MSPOTA’s online logging, scheduling and award tracking*system is
currently being assembled. We will be seeking local clubs to*sponsor parks,
act as QSL bureaus and tend to parks local to them.

MSPOTA is sponsored by The Northern Michigan Amateur Radio Service
Team*(NM8RT).

For MSPOTA news and progress or to volunteer to help, please visit
the*“MSPOTA” group on Facebook or email Will at . Many thanks
to W8WDR for this informational update and many thanks to*the MSPOTA
development team for working so hard to bring this fun*activity to the hams
of Michigan.
When this effort got going, I was enthusiastic about it. Im less so now.
For one thing, only a third of the parks will be activatable at any one
time. About a third of them the first year, another third the second year,
and the remaining parks the third year. No plans, as far as I know, are
being made to continue this event beyond the third year. I think thats
going to create a lot of confusion among both the activators and the
chasers. Im hoping for the best, though.

The post December 2016 Michigan Section News appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
Radio Blog.