Old January 16th 16, 04:18 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay[_5_] Brian Reay[_5_] is offline

Default Power Pole Connectors

On 16/01/16 15:51, Ralph Mowery wrote:

For a good number of years a friend and I used some 2 pin Molex type plugs
for the 12 volt power so they would all interchange. They were not rated for
the current of the later devices and started to be difficult to find.

We have now switched over to the power poles like some of the rest of the
country. There is a recommended way to pair them up as sort of a 'standard'
so people in different parts of the country can swap out the gear if wanted.

While there are several varities of them, they make some that use the same
plastic housing and the contacts are different only in the size of wire
they are made for. I think it is the 15, 30,45 amp ones that are that way.

I hope you spent afew more dollars and bought the crimping tool for them.
Makes instlling them well worth the $ 20 or for the tool.

I generally solder mine but I should really invest in a crimp tool, it
is far less fiddly.

It is also worth investing in some of the accessories- eg the PVC
'boots' and panel mount holders, plus the pins to 'lock' blocks of
connectors together if you are making your own multi-way connectors.

The plastic clips to hold a 'back to back' pair together are also
useful, especially if there is any risk of the connectors being pulled
apart.

You can also get bushes to allow finer wire to be used in the larger
connectors.

The groove on the body of the shell can by used to lock the connector in
a plastic or metal box, at the top edge. Handy for homebrewing. I use a
small plastic box and fit a resetable fuse inside to convert the various
handheld leads to powerpower.

--
Why you should not ignore animal neglect and cruelty:
http://www.caar-uk.org/why.html