Old January 23rd 16, 04:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] is offline

Default Morseing it up?

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

I don't know about "faster" or "easier". But I have experienced in over
45 years of teaching, that those with the will and determination to
learn the code succeed. Those who do not don't learn.

I've always been willing to help those who are willing to spend the time
and effort. However, there is no way I can be a substitute for it.

Will, determination, endurance and so on are all well and good, but are all
also totally moot points. The fact is, morse is not necessary for many,
many amateurs to enjoy their hobby. Not necessary in terms of there being
so many other modes and methods of amateur communication and not necessary
in terms of it no longer being a requirement to access sections of
spectrum. If somebody wants to use morse then they are free and able to
learn it and use it. Most amateurs these days don't bother learning it,
which probably tells us quite a lot, but most glaringly it suggests that
it's a mode that simply doesn't have a strong enough pull factor to
convince people to learn it without having a gun (in the form of HF access)
placed against their head. If people really wanted to communicate in morse,
we'd see a lot more people learning it.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur