Old February 15th 16, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Manhattan, Dead Bug construction?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Dave Platt
writes

The recommendation to use super-glue to stick down the
copper island pads seems to be at odds with the suggestion
that super-gluing of one's fingers can be cured with hot water.

Wouldn't the heat of soldering cause the super-glue to fail?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to depend on the
specific variety of cyanoacrylate glue you use, and whether you can
"get on and get off" the pad quickly when soldering. The "toughened"
cyanoacrylates, which have some rubber particles in the mix and remain
slightly flexible, might be less likely to "pop" due to thermal
stress.

I had DirtyPcbs.com make me up a set of "Manhattan-like" prototype
boards for small analog circuits. They're similar in style to a board
made with a pad cutter or core drill, but without the dust :-)

http://dirtypcbs.com/view.php?share=...c3b4046cada 9
915ee9dd2ed
http://dirtypcbs.com/view.php?share=...3b1e66cc69e 9
29b455acecd

I've made prototype ( and permanent) boards out of double sided PC with
orthogonal saw cuts through the top layer to create pads. You have to drill
and loop through the bottom layer for ground pads.

At work we used stick on strips of PCB for prototyping, which you could snip
to size, but I don't know where you buy it. The glue seemed to resist heat.

Wasnt' that expensive? I remember when that sort of thing was available,
the stuff I remember was intended for use with perfboard so the holes were
already there. But I don't think I ever tried it, which leaves me
thinking it wsa expensive.

Michael