Old March 20th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
philo philo is offline

Default [KE9V] Looking thru Windows

On 03/20/2016 10:30 AM, KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

Perturbation

Looking thru Windows

http://ke9v.net/2016/03/19/looking-thru-windows/

I ordered a Dell XPS 13 laptop last week and it arrived a few days ago.
I had selected a configuration with an i5 processor, 8Gb of memory, and
256Gb of solid state storage.

Physically, it’s about the size of an 11-inch MacBook Air but sports a
larger 13-inch screen with the thinnest bezel I’ve seen. It gives the
appearance that the screen is continuous to the outer edges. The
keyboard is full-enough sized to be comfortable and the touch-pad is
responsive. Battery life has been spectacular – ten hours on a charge.

Windows 10 (Home) was pre-loaded and I find it to be perfectly usable
despite my fondness for Linux and OS X. That fondness had painted me
into a corner where I didn’t own anything else and have simply foregone
the many benefits of living in the mainstream of amateur radio hardware
and software.

Sort of "homebrew" I guess...but I always build my own computers and
those for friends. Because there is really no money to be made anymore
and because most of my friends have become a PITA to deal with...I
advise them to just buy a Dell. So far everyone has been happy.

I use as many different operating systems as I can and have machines for
Linux, Windows and OSX.

The major flaw I've found with Win10 is that there is no easy way to
turn off automatic updates...which could cause a reboot, right in the
middle of you work! Very bad.