Old March 31st 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [KE9V] Getting it Together

Perturbation

Getting it Together

http://ke9v.net/2016/03/30/getting-it-together/

Remembering things is the hard part by VE3WDM really struck a chord here,
especially given my recent struggle to recall a procedure for installing a
necessary bit of software in a particular sequence. The task was even more
frustrating because I had done this same thing about six months earlier.
With some help from Google I was finally able to finish what I had started,
but it was no way to burn three hours on a Saturday morning.

Ive visited the homes of highly organized radio enthusiasts who have
created detailed layout maps of their station and antenna farm with neatly
organized bundles of color-coded (and labeled) cabling that clearly
establishes my own radio room as a Mickey Mouse operation.

Clearly, theres a lot of room for improvement.

To that end, Ive been toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi to serve
up Web pages internally on my home network an intranet.

It would require a lot of effort to document everything in the shack, but I
have a head start on some of it. I already have most of the manuals for my
equipment in PDF format and Im good about scanning datasheets and short
instruction manuals not already PDF as I despise stacks of paper and throw
all of it out as soon as its scanned.

Making heavy use of photos, I think I can create a Web site that includes
every pertinent technical detail of my radio experience. Including notes on
things like how to renew my LoTW credentials when that time rolls around,
updating firmware, cable pin-outs, specific dipswitch settings and really
anything that needs doing but infrequently enough that its difficult to
store in the gray matter.

Im also pretty good about scanning sales receipts for most purchases but as
these files accumulate in a folder on the hard drive, they become harder to
find. How nice would it be to click a link on a Web page and have a scan of
the sales receipt pop-up?

The idea isnt new or unique, its simply another layer of effort in a
mission to organize life and theres no reason it couldnt be extended
outside the shack to the entire household. Easy access to receipts, details
of repairs and improvements with before and after photos the list is
endless.

The required effort is the only limiting factor and documenting these kinds
of things requires discipline, a semi-rare quality that most of us dont
possess in sufficient quantity.

But wouldnt that kind of archival and instant retrieval system be nice to
have?