Old June 3rd 16, 06:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob Wilson Bob Wilson is offline

Default Is it better to live in the past?

On 6/3/2016 11:44 AM, Rambo wrote:
"gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339" Wrote in message:
"gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339" wrote in message
For the good of amateur radio in general, would we be better off living in
the
past with the state of the art of 30 years ago, so that all licensees
would have
the capability to continue to maintain for themselves their equipment,
and,
by having that capability, perhaps be motivated to continue the grand
tradition
of homebrewing their rigs?

GRRRR!!!!!!

With the exception of the dial mechanism which has a cord pulling from one
end, with
a stretchy bit of nylon to pull the LED pointer back. Works fine until the
stretchy nylon
exceeds its elastic limit and then the dial no longer returns to the zero
position.

Luckily, I have a lifetime's supply of the stretchy nylon!

Are you using proper dial cord. The cord should be non stretch,
tension is usually maintained by a spring. ISTR its quite hard to
come by, the cord I have now came from a small shop in the
states.
The vintage radio forums may be of some help.

I don't know what may be available across the pond, but here in the
States I would go to a store and buy braided nylon fishing line.
(Definitely not monofilament line!) That has worked for me for years, in
fact since I have not been fishing in decades I just work off of a spool
still mounted to an old fishing rod. Braided line is built not to
stretch much, and is available in different strengths.
Bob W, WA9D