Old February 17th 17, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default [WB8NUT] Why DMR is succeeding

In article , rec-radio-amateur-
says...

WB8NUT Blog RSS Feed

Why DMR is succeeding

http://wb8nut.com/blog/files/Februar...ue-entry-id-83

A Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

As many of you know, I am a big fan of DStar. Sure it has some limitations,
but for versatility, it is the best for ham radio in my opinion, because it
was designed for ham radio. Fusion can make that same claim, but I do not
see the versatility there.

DMR is a commercial standard adapted to amateur radio. It seems to be the
least flexible for amateur radio, but seems to be growing the fastest at
this point. The reason why is what I will try to answer.

DMR took over just as Microsoft did in the computer years. MS wasnted
about $ 50 and the other company (believe Digital Research) that I
forget the name of wanted about $ 150.

I company can not come out with a system for the population and keep
everything in house. Thatis what happened to D-Star, Betamax and some
of the eairly computer such as Texas Instruments. It also has to be the
less expensive, especially for hams. Copper wire was invented by 2 hams
arguing over a penny.