Old December 21st 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info
RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcasting Admin RadioInsight via rec.radio.broadcasting Admin is offline

Default RadioInsight for Wednesday 21 December 2016

RadioInsight

2016 Songs that Changed the Radio

http://blogtrans.megatrax.com/2016-songs-changed-radio/

San Antonio Express-News: San Antonios iHeartMedia dealt another blow

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...w-10811221.php

Darrick 'Brown' Williams To Program WGZB/WMJM Louisville

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...jm-louisville/

Alpha Media has tabbed Darrick Brown Williams has the new Program Director
for Urban B96.5 WGZB and Urban AC Magic 101.3 WMJM Louisville.

Williams replaces Al Payne, who left for Beasley Classic Hip-Hop 105.1 The
Bounce WMGC Detroit in September. Williams most recently programmed
Radio-One Urban AC 100.3 WRNB and Gospel Praise 103.9 WPPZ Philadelphia for
Radio-One and has also programmed in Charlotte NC.

Alpha Media Louisville announced today Darrick Williams has been named
Program Director for Urban B-96.5 (WGZB), and Urban A/C Magic 101.3 (WMJM).

Over the past 20 years Darrick has been involved in every aspect of the
creative process in Radio Programming, from Washington DC, Charlotte, and
Philadelphia to New York City. Add to that, over a decade of experience
working with some of the biggest names in the industry, Donnie Simpson,
Wendy Williams, Steve Harvey, Salt N Pepa, Cedric The Entertainer, Sommore,
Jay Stevens, Tony Gray, Skip Dillard and so many more. Darrick is looking
forward to working at a company where that kind of commitment to the
Community is at the center of everything they do.

Alpha Media’s Market Manager, Bill Gentry, added, “We are excited to have
Brown join our team and utilize his vast experience to aggressively lead
GZB and MJM to new heights.”

“Darrick is one of those ‘diamonds in the rough’ who has the major market
experience, strong leadership skills, strategic thinking, and long line of
success stories that follow him. I can’t wait to watch Darrick lead this
hungry and talented staff. Alpha Media continues to recruit the most
talented players in the industry!” remarked Alpha Media’s Operations
Manager, Ben Davis.

Darrick said, “I am very excited to take on this new journey! Its an honor
to be given this amazing opportunity by Mr. Gentry, Mr. DAVIS, and ALPHA
MEDIAs programming top brass to join this awesome team. I’ll be surrounded
by an abundance of talent, and look forward to a successful 2017 serving
and living in Louisville aka KENTUCKIANA.”

KBAY San Jose To Flip To Classic Hits

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-classic-hits/

Alpha Media AC 94.5 KBAY Gilroy/San Jose will flip to Classic Hits 94.5
Bay-FM after Christmas.

KBAY is promoting one last present from KBAY at 5pm on Christmas night. The
format change comes following the hiring of Ronnie Stanton as Program
Director of KBAY and sister Hot AC Mix 106.5 KEZR as well as VP/Programming
overseeing all of Alphas Alternative, Classic Hits, Classic Rock, Oldies,
and Rock stations. The station also let go of morning co-host Lissa
Kreisler concurrent with the retirement of Sam Van Zandt last week.

While KBAY was the only AC targeting the South Bay, both Entercoms 96.5
KOIT and iHeartMedias 98.1 The Breeze KISQ are heard in the market. KBAY
will become the only Classic Hits station in San Jose and the adjacent San
Francisco market.

Nielsen Announces Plans To Increase PPM Sample Size By 10%

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...le-size-by-10/

Nielsen announced today it will increase the panel size in all PPM market
by 10% across all demographics starting in mid-2017.

The move follows its previous announcement to begin using the PPM to
measure out-of-home television viewing in 44 markets as well. Nielsen will
also begin to integrate its newly acquired Gracenote data into its services.

Today, Nielsen announced an increase in the panel in 48 Portable People
Meter (PPM) markets as part of its ongoing efforts to advance audio
measurement. Nielsen will boost the effective sample size of the panel by
10% across all markets and demographics starting mid-2017.

Nielsen’s enhanced PPM panel will have more than 80,000 installed meters.
This means that on an average day over 65,000 panelists will contribute to
the ratings. The increase represents more than 6,000 additional panelists
on a daily basis across the aggregate of PPM markets. The sample increase
will be distributed proportionally across all demographics.

“An increase in the PPM sample size is the number one priority for our
clients,” said Brad Kelly, Managing Director for Nielsen Audio. “With this
investment, Nielsen is doubling down on its commitment to the radio
industry and addressing the needs of our clients. We are thrilled to
rollout this enhancement that will continue to build a stronger radio
advertising marketplace.”

With the recently announced acquisition of Gracenote, Nielsen will be
exploring ways to leverage Gracenote’s vast footprint in over 70 million
Car Infotainment systems as well as their expertise as the industry
standard for automatic content recognition (ACR) to help expand our
measurement of in-car audio and in-car digital listening.

“Larger sample sizes are important due to the continuing fragmentation of
audiences and the need for more granular analysis of the data. This
expansion will be an important step forward in the accuracy and quality of
our audio estimates,” said Megan Clarken, President for Nielsen Product
Leadership. “Increasing the size of our PPM panel will allow our clients to
continue to share their story with confidence and in a way that resonates
with advertisers.”

Keith Olbermann To Host ESPN Radio 25th Anniversary Special

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...rsary-special/

As ESPN Radio celebrates its 25th anniversary of its launch on January 1,
the network is bringing back the first voice heard on the network to host a
retrospective on Wednesday, January 4.

Keith Olbermann will be joined by Tony Bruno and Chuck Wilson who also
hosted the first nights programming to host a two hour retrospective from
7-9pm and rerunning throughout the year. The network will also launch the
25 Stories in Sports from the Last 25 Years podcast running bi-weekly
starting January 9.

Upon its launch in 1992, ESPN Radio ran for eight hours nightly on Saturday
and Sunday evenings. The network began weekday programming with the launch
of The Fabulous Sports Babe from 10am-2pm starting in July 1994.

In 2017, ESPN Radio will celebrate its 25th anniversary, kicking off with a
25th Anniversary Special hosted by Keith Olbermann, with guests Tony Bruno
and Chuck Wilson – all voices on the first ESPN Radio broadcast — airing
Wednesday, Jan. 4, from 7 – 9 p.m. ET. The anniversary special will re-air
on ESPN Radio periodically throughout 2017.

“ESPN Radio has been around for 25 years serving sports fans on the go
wherever and whenever. We have evolved over time, adapting as sports fans
have adapted, to new ways of listening while all along maintaining strong
relationships with our over 500 affiliates across the country,” said Traug
Keller, senior vice president, ESPN Audio. “From compelling talk
programming to the strongest package of play-by-play content in the
industry, ESPN Radio has consistently been the leader among sports
broadcasters. We’re incredibly grateful to all the hard-working individuals
who have contributed so much to the network over the years — both behind
and in front of the mic. Bringing back Keith, Tony and Chuck was a way for
us to tip our hats to the folks who got us started.”

Throughout 2017, ESPN Radio will revisit pivotal moments in sports from the
past 25 years. From January 9 through December 11, the network will offer
the bi-weekly 25 Stories in Sports from the Last 25 Years podcast series,
which will be hosted by various ESPN Radio voices and discuss some of the
landmark sporting events since 1992. The podcasts will be available on the
ESPN app and as a series on ESPNRadio.com.

Also beginning in January, ESPN Radio will explore the Top 25 of the last
25 years – Best Coaches, Best Fights, Most Underrated Athletes and more –
with one list debuting each month through 2017 on ESPNRadio.com. In
addition, vignettes showcasing “This Week in Sports History” will run
weekdays during ESPN Radio’s talk programming.

ESPN Radio launched on January 1, 1992, with 16 hours per week of sports
news and information. The network has since grown to provide more than
9,000 hours of talk and event content annually, and reaches 20 million
listeners a week on 500 nationwide stations. Over the last quarter-century,
ESPN Radio has created provocative and entertaining programming including
Mike Mike, The Dan Le Batard Show, The Fabulous Sports Babe, The Dan
Patrick Show, The Herd with Colin Cowherd and more.

Notable Moments in ESPN Radio History:

January 1, 1992 ESPN Radio Network is launched, featuring 16 hours a week
of sports news and information.

July 4, 1994 ESPN Radio begins its first weekday “long?form” programming
and its first show with listener calls with The Fabulous Sports Babe,
weekdays from 10 a.m. ? 2 p.m.

November 14, 1995 ESPN Radio Network acquires national radio broadcast
rights to the NBA, the network’s first agreement for an event series.

September 18, 1997 ESPN Radio and Major League Baseball announce a deal
for game coverage (beginning in 1998) and a variety of other programming
through the 2002 season.

October 12, 1998 ESPN Radio becomes a 24-hour service utilizing ABC
Radio’s recently purchased WMVP in Chicago, its flagship station: “ESPN
Radio 1000.”

January 3, 2000 Mike Mike in the Morning makes its debut.

March 7, 2000 ESPN Radio signs its 100th full-time station – WTMT-AM in
Louisville, Ky.

September 1, 2001 ESPN Radio 1050 in New York debuts as a 50,000-watt
24-hour ESPN affiliate.

January 1, 2002 ESPN Radio celebrates its 10th anniversary. In 2002, the
network adds stations giving it 700 total – including coverage in the top
50 markets – and 210 fulltime.

January 1, 2003 Los Angeles station 710AM becomes an ESPN Radio affiliate.

April 26, 2004 Mike Mike makes its TV debut on ESPNEWS.

October 5, 2005 ESPN Deportes Radio launches, the first fulltime national
U.S. Spanish-language sports network, with sports talk and events,
highlighted by MLB and Mexican soccer.

April 10, 2006 ESPN.com launches PodCenter, a library of digital audio and
video content from ESPN’s TV, radio and online outlets to download or play
on computer.

September 2009 The ESPN Radio app debuts, and was listed among the “Top 25
Apps for 2009” on iTunes.

April 30, 2012 ESPN Radio in New York moves from 1050 AM to 98.7 FM. In
September, the 1050 signal becomes a 24/7 ESPN Deportes Radio affiliate.

September 30, 2013 The Dan Le Batard Show, hosted by longtime Miami
journalist Dan Le Batard and Jon “Stugotz” Weiner, makes its national
debut, airing weekdays, 4 – 7 p.m. and later moves to its current 10 a.m. –
1 p.m. timeslot.

January 23, 2014 On February 3, the YES Network begins its live simulcast
of ESPN New York 98.7FM’s The Michael Kay Show.

June 10, 2014 ESPN Radio becomes the first sports content available on
iTunes Radio.

January 24, 2015 ESPN Radio debuts Spain Prim, its first all-female
hosted and produced sports talk show, presented by espnW and hosted by
Sarah Spain and Prim Siripipat. It was the precursor to the current The
Trifecta with Spain, Jane and Kate, hosted by Spain, Jane McManus and Kate
Fagan.

March 6, 2015 ESPN Radio’s Mike Mike celebrates its 15th anniversary with
a live show from Walt Disney World in Orlando.

April 5, 2016 Dunkumentaries, ESPN Audio’s first long-form podcast, debuts
as a five episode series.

June 20, 2016 ESPNLA 710AM becomes the flagship station for the Los
Angeles Rams

Johnny O Becomes WSSX Program Director

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...gram-director/

Johnny O OLeary is leaving his APD/afternoons position at Cumulus CHR Q100
99.7 WWWQ Atlanta after nine years to program sister CHR 95SX WSSX
Charleston.

OLeary previously programmed New South Radio CHR Y101 WYOY Jackson MS prior
to joining WWWQ in 2008. He succeeds Yonni Rude who resigned in October.

Cumulus Media announces that Johnny O’Leary (known on-air as “Johnny O’”)
segues from his roles as Assistant Program Director and Afternoon Drive
Host on Cumulus Media-Atlanta’s Q100/WWWQ-FM to join Cumulus
Media-Charleston’s Heritage Top 40 station, WSSX-FM, as Program Director
and On-Air Personality, effective January 3, 2017. Johnny O’ moves to WSSX
after nine years at Q100 in Atlanta, GA. Prior to that, he was Program
Director and On-Air Personality for New South Radio and was also Imaging
Director and On-Air Personality for Q102 in Cincinnati, OH. He holds a B.S.
degree in Mass Communication/Media Studies from Ithaca College.

Sherry Dollar, Vice President/Market Manager of Cumulus Media-Charleston
said: “Johnny O’ brings a wealth of talent to the Lowcountry and to
Charleston’s Heritage Top 40 station, WSSX. His creativity, knowledge of
the format, passion to win and great leadership skills will be brilliant
additions to the mighty 95sx. We can’t wait to kick off the New Year with
Johnny!”

Johnny O’ said: “I couldnt be more excited about this incredible move.* The
heritage of 95sx, the history, the BEACH!*Working with the*incredibly
talented staff in Charleston and bringing*the knowledge Ive gained from Rob
Roberts, Mike McVay and the Atlanta team*will make an
awesome*opportunity*for some super fun radio!*

Walton & Johnson Exit WKBU; On Way To WRNO?

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...show-movement/

Two New Orleans stations are making morning show changes for the new year.

iHeartMedia News/Talk 99.5 WRNO quietly let go of morning host Gerry V
Vaillancourt last week. His show was also simulcast on sister 1150 WJBO
Baton Rouge. Vaillancourt, a former analyst for the Charlotte and New
Orleans Hornets NBA franchise, joined WRNO in 2014.

Entercom Classic Rock Bayou 95.7 WKBU has told listeners that the
regionally syndicated Walton Johnson have informed the station that they
were not renewing their affiliation with the station. The show has been on
WKBU since its launch in 2005 and has had runs at multiple New Orleans
stations since the duo first teamed together at 93.3 WQUE in 1983.

With Walton Johnson now based at iHeartMedia News/Talk 950 KPRC Houston,
all expectations are that they will soon resurface at WRNO, where they
previously anchored mornings during the tail end of its Rock heyday from
1999-2004.

All of us at Bayou 95.7 are saddened to share that Walton and Johnson’s
radio program is no longer with us. After much negotiation, their business
interests have lead them elsewhere. We found out shortly before they left
for their holiday vacation that they would not be renewing their contract.
We cannot tell you how much we’ve enjoyed sharing our airwaves with WJ, but
understand that they have to do what’s in their best financial interest.

Bayou 95.7 is still New Orleans’ only Classic Rock station and we’re not
going anywhere. We are working hard to come up with a new entertaining
morning show that will reflect New Orleans and continue to play the great
Classic Rock. We’ll have an announcement in the coming weeks. Rest
assured, we’ll do everything we can to continue to make Bayou the best
Classic Rock station it can be for you! THANK YOU! And best of luck to WJ!

Brock & Salk Expand To Portland

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...d-to-portland/

The Brock Salk morning show based at Bonneville Sports 710 ESPN KIRO
Seattle will be heard in Portland starting Monday, January 2.

Brock Huard and Mike Salks show will join Alpha Media Sports 750/102.9 The
Game KXTG Portland/K275CH Gresham OR on a two hour delay from 9am-12pm.
They will replace CBS Sports Radios Jim Rome in the timeslot. Former NFL QB
Huard and Salk were first paired in afternoons at KIRO in 2009 when the
station flipped to Sports. Salk left in 2013 for WEEI Boston but when he
returned to KIRO the following year as PD/Morning host, Huard moved to
mornings join rejoin him. The show is also syndicated to a couple other
markets in Washington.

Alpha Media, Portland announced today that 710 ESPN Seattle’s “Brock Salk”
will begin airing on 750/102.9 The Game on Monday, January 2, 2017 each
weekday from 9 am – 12 pm. “Brock Salk” will entertain listeners of
750/102.9 by bringing their unique perspective to the Northwest’s Regional
Sports teams such as the Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers, Seattle
Mariners, Washington State Cougars, Oregon Ducks, Washington Huskies and
the Oregon State Beavers, as well as the biggest sports stories of the day.

Mike Salk has partnered with former NFL quarterback Brock Huard since the
debut of “Brock Salk” in April 2009, as part of the launch of 710 ESPN
Seattle. The duo has since gone on to considerable ratings success and has
become the staple for the Northwest sports fan.

Brock Huard joined 710 ESPN Seattle in 2009 and serves as a college
football analyst for ESPN and ABC’s Saturday games with Bob Wischusen and
Allison Williams. Huard was a standout quarterback at the University of
Washington for three years, before moving on to the NFL as a member of the
Seattle Seahawks from 1999-2001 and the Indianapolis Colts in 2002-2003.

Mike Salk has hosted “Brock Salk” since 2009, with a brief stop at WEEI in
Boston in 2013. He previously hosted shows on the ESPN Radio Network.

“We are excited to expand our Seattle Sports Radio Network into the greater
Portland area,” said Dave Pridemore, Vice President and General Manager of
710 ESPN Seattle.

Alpha Media, Portland Operations Manager, Bruce Collins commented on the
announcement, “I am tremendously excited to welcome two proven winners in
Brock and Salk to 750/102.9 The Game.”

“Brock Salk” will follow Dan Patrick (6am-9am) and lead into The Bald
Faced Truth Show with John Canzano (12pm-3pm.)

A Holiday Message From Dan Mason

https://radioinsight.com/blogs/10982...rom-dan-mason/

A Ross on RadioInsight guest article from Dan Mason, Chairman of the
Broadcasters Foundation of America.

The giving time of year is upon us and radio stations across the country
have been conducting drives to raise money and awareness for the charitable
causes that help their communities. That’s part of radio’s public service,
and we do it earnestly and well. Radio is a call-to-action medium. We know
how to rally our audiences to help others.

What happens, though, when the victim is one of our own? When an
unforeseen misfortune befalls a member of the broadcasting community?
That’s when the Broadcasters Foundation of American can step in to help.
The Broadcasters Foundation is the only charity devoted exclusively to
helping broadcasters in need. Our grant recipients are your colleagues.
Broadcasting professionals who worked at radio and TV stations and had
meaningful careers in programming, on-air, production, engineering, sales,
management and more. Now, these same broadcasters are destitute because of
severe illness, accident or even advanced age.

Adding to their tragedy, many of these colleagues of ours do not know about
the Broadcasters Foundation of America nor that they can apply for aid.
Imagine that? We are broadcasters, and yet we can sometimes fall short of
broadcasting vital information to our own.

Monthly grants from the Broadcasters Foundation can help pay for medical
bills and basic living expenses. The Foundation also provides one-time
emergency grants to offset the destruction caused by natural disasters like
floods and hurricanes. This past year, for example, we distributed more
than $90,000 in one-time emergency funds to broadcasters who were affected
by the floods in Louisiana. If you work in the Baton Rouge market, you may
have heard of the Broadcasters Foundation’s work there.

With the support of individual broadcasters and numerous broadcast
companies, The Broadcasters Foundation has provided financial assistance to
thousands of radio and TV broadcasters and their families for more than 65
years. The main source for these monthly and emergency grants is the
Foundation’s Guardian Fund. Contributions to the Guardian Fund have ranged
from $50 a month up to $50,000 (and over) because of several very generous
benefactors. Every amount helps. Our profession is large in numbers and
large in caring! Collectively, we can come together through the
Broadcasters Foundation to help colleagues who have found themselves in
unthinkable circumstances.

Here’s a note we received from a drive-time DJ who was helped through your
generosity: “I can’t thank you and the Foundation enough for this financial
help. I’d be lost without it. As you know I’m without a family to help me
along so the Foundation has become my support.”

The Broadcasters Foundation is really all about taking care of our own. Our
work is dedicated to helping broadcasters and their families who find
themselves in devastating circumstances.

The widow of a radio on-air announcer and program director writes: “I have
done my best to keep the family happy, stable, and positive. The BFOA has
played a huge role in that, thanks to your support.”

This is the kind of impact we can have. When unforeseen disaster or
medical emergencies strike without warning, we are often the only safety
net, providing not only much-needed financial assistance, but also a
shoulder to lean on through the tough times.

The inspiring words from a radio business manager is a glimpse into the
hope our help can deliver: “One day I won’t need [the BFOA’s support]
anymore and hopefully on that day I can contribute back..”

The more broadcasters who are aware of the work that the Broadcasters
Foundation does, and the more support we receive, the more colleagues we
can help. As you look over our list of Board of Directors, you will
recognize many leaders and prominent individuals from Radio and
Television. These broadcasters are doing some of the best volunteer work
of their lives. You can be sure they are careful and dedicated stewards.

We hope you are never in a position to need charity. But with your
support, we can ensure that no broadcaster’s cry for help goes unanswered.
Please, visit our website at www.broadcastersfoundation.org and click on
the “How To Help” button. You can also contact us at 212-373-8250 or
.

In closing, if you know of a broadcaster in need, let us know right away.
If you have any questions, message me personally on Facebook or LinkedIn or
email me at
.

Wall Street Journal: NPR CEO Explains Radio Broadcasters Bet on Podcasts

http://www.wsj.com/articles/npr-ceo-...sts-1482257446

Facebook Adds Live Audio

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ds-live-audio/

Facebook today is soft-launching a new live audio streaming tool.

The tool at first will only be available to a handful of partners: UK Talk
LBC, BBC World Service, Harper Collins publishing, and authors Adam Grant
and Britt Bennett. It will be made available to all users sometime in 2017.

Like Facebook Live Video the tool will enable users to ask questions and
leave reactions in real time creating a direct link with the broadcaster.
Among potential uses could be to stream live talk content or podcasts
within the Facebook ecosystem, in-studio performances sans cameras, or live
news coverage.

On Android devices users will be able to listen to audio while using other
apps or locking their phones, however iOS users will only be able to listen
while using the Facebook app.