Old January 6th 05, 06:15 PM

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
oups.com...

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
Can anyone tell me where I can find plans for building a great

jpole
that is dual band and has a low swr?

Also, do you have to ground or use a balun with a jpole? I have

seen
some plans that say you dont on their design.

I use the design found at : http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html
Standard 1/2" copper pipe with acid-free solder, no balun, no

choke,
and
approximately 70' of Belden 9913 feedline. Grounded roof top mast

uses #4
bare copper lightning down conductors in two directions, coax is

shield
grounded at ground level, then to an I.C.E lightning surge

arrestor,
then to
a 25w marine vhf transceiver. The J-Pole is bench centered on

156.800
Mhz
and allows 18-23w output (at the transceiver) across the

vhf-marine
band.
Very experienced antenna builders on this group have explained

that
my
results without a balun/choke at the feedpoint is a combination

of
luck
concerning feedline length and operating bandwidth. Accordingly,

your
results would most likely vary, but the design is a confirmed

performer.

73,
Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

How do you "adjust" this antenna for optimum swr? Would it change

the
results using "qwick connect" fittings instead of

welding/soldering?

Are the end caps that are soldered on included in calculating the
length?

Yes the caps are part of the electrical length. Tuning is

accomplished by
adjusting the tuning bar (dimension "C" up or down between the two

vertical
elements. Very little adjustment is required from the design

dimensions for
"bench" swr. Of course that would need to be tested as installed is

you want
to know the actual output in watts at the antenna. Mine required no

field
adjustment.

73,
Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

I am having trouble understanding the "building" of the tuning part.