Old January 8th 05, 03:18 AM
Charlie

I just want to thank all of you for your kindness and speediness in pointing
out my error as a new vertical antenna user. I am glad several of you had a
laugh on me for burying tuned radials. Thank you for your kindness and
courtesy. Hope to catch each and every one of you on the bands. I am
grateful for the tact and diplomacy that many of you showed me. True Ham
Spirit at it's best.

Based on what I have been told by the gentlemen in this great group I could
have used much shorter radials than any "tuned length". If that is right
then I have achieved a much more effective radial system then what I would
have had I not erred. Is this right? In other words I have more wire in the
ground then I need..right? Now if that is so..does that hurt or help

TY Roy

73 / DX

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:23:24 -0600, "Charlie"
wrote:

|What about the Hustler antenna instructions which provide the "correct
|lengths" for cutting radials? Moreover they need not be "buried 2 inches"
in
|the ground but can safely remain on the ground once grass growth
effectively
|buries them. Also DX Engineering www.dxengineering.com has ground radials
|for sale which are "pre-cut to length". I assume they know what they are
|doing.

Of course they do.... they are separating fools from their money.

|Force 12 also recommends using "tuned radials" with their line of
|vertical antennas. I assume they too know more about antennas then I do.

I'm sure. And they say, among other things (including some
advertising hype) at:

http://force12inc.com/brvinfo.htm

"The most efficient radial system is one that is elevated above
ground." Only then, does it pay (or matter) to tune the radials.