Old July 26th 03, 06:38 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

W5DXP wrote:
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
So, I stand by exactly what I said: When discussing transmission-line
theory, the Bird's indications of forward and reflected power are (in
short) "part of the argument, not part of the answer".

Ian, if you can provide an example of standing waves (in a single source,
single feedline, single load system) without forward and reflected waves,
you can indeed discredit the Bird wattmeter.

That's utterly dishonest quoting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You are perfectly aware that earlier in the same message, I said:

1. The Bird "wattmeter" does not in fact sense power. At the detailed

level, it senses voltages and currents in its internal transmission
line, and then sums and subtracts them to give RF voltages that the
diode detects. I repeat, there is no sensing of power as such, and no
detection of power as such.

My point is that all directional couplers DO work by sensing forward and
reflected waves of voltage and current BUT NOT WAVES OF POWER.

The inner workings of every directional coupler can be explained
*completely* in terms of waves of voltage and current. That includes
resistive bridges, Bruene bridges and parallel-line couplers (of which
the coupler in the Bird is a sub-class). They all work because E and I
waves are phasors, and the construction of the coupler makes them add in
one direction and subtract in the other. There's an example of a
detailed analysis, about the Bruene bridge but applicable in principle
to other types as well, at:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-pr...-of.htm#bruene

Waveguide directional couplers work in very similar ways, but have to be
analysed in terms of forward and reflected E and H fields. That kind of
explanation also works for a waveguide circulator, the difference being
that some of the fields are inside a magnetic medium. A coaxial
circulator is more complex because it involves voltages and currents on
the line part and also E and H fields in the magnetic medium, but the
principle is the same.

This is all standard stuff that has been known for decades. Forward and
reflected waves of V and I (or E and H) give a complete explanation of
the directional properties of all such devices.

Let me turn the question around, Cecil: can you explain in detail how
any directional coupler gets its directional properties, using *only*
your concepts of power waves?

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek