Old January 10th 05, 08:53 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Thierry wrote:
We know that during the emission of a radiotelescope (rare, for tests
or to send SETI msg, Hi!), the radiation can sterilize people working
in the dish.

Nonsense - we know nothing of the sort.

No-nonsense, it is sense. RF exposure causes temporary sterility, kinda birth
control. Too much RF can cook us.

TOO MUCH certainly can, and of course there are many documented cases.

It's Thierry's use of "we know" that bugs me. Does anyone actually
*know* of any case whe

People have been working in (inside) a radiotelescope dish
AND
The transmitter has been on (most radiotelescopes don't even have one)
AND
They have become sterile?

No, I thought not. That's because it's pure techno-folklore.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek