Old January 4th 04, 06:29 AM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:08:16 -0700, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

The current antenna will tune up quickly and easily on all bands
from 160-6 meters. I was having some instability problems untill
I tied all equipment grounds to the copper baseboard heater pipe.

Before I did that I would see SWR changes when touching my
rig, my SWR meter, my tuner etc. Not now. I know the hot water
pipe is not supposed to be a good ground but this is working
extremely well.

So, how do you suggest I handle the transition between my coax
run from the tuner and the 450 ohm ladder line?

73's de Ken KG0WX

Hi Ken,

Well, gee, I don't know how to put this, but I'd leave things alone.
There is almost nothing you can do that would be
measureable/noticeable from the other end in all likelihood -- unless
everything worked only because your antenna was nothing more than an
aircooled resistor. You could double your output and it would barely
nudge their S-meter.

Use an ordinary 1:1 Current BalUn (to answer your last question). Any
other value (one feels compelled to suggest 1:9) would be just as bad
over much of those frequencies as the 1:1 (except different
frequencies). The upshot of using a Current BalUn is the benefit of
its choking action and a 1:9 may not exhibit that as well; especially
if it is a Voltage BalUn construction.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC