Old April 16th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kenwood R-1000

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, sctvguy1 wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:47:44 -0700, karabas2001 wrote:

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:06:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi I have a Kenwood R 1000 , love it . . it developed power problems .
i have since stripped the power board . .unfortunately I cant get most
of the important parts . do you know of any second hand or new boards
available I really want this radio to work again. Regards Peter ZS5
PX

What parts do you need ? Nearly anything inside a radio of this vintage
should not be a problem .

Too bad it does not have tubes that can just be replaced.

But then you'd have all those paper capacitors that need replacing, and
maybe it's old enough that the resistors have changed value and may need
replacing too.

Like he said, there's a period when most parts in solid state radios are
still readily available. Maybe that's after silicon transistors took over,
I gather those with HRO-500s have had some problem replacing germanium
transistors (and probably the germanium transistors need replacing because
they've gone bad over time). But it's also a period before large scale
integration came along, so the ICs are plentiful but common analog or TTL.

I can't imagine anything from that vintage in the power supply being
really hard to get, a regulator IC might be hardest, but I suspect it
wouldn't be something hard to get now. The rest would be common
electrolytics, power diodes, maybe some transistors. They can be found,
and if not, suitable substitutes can be found.

It's later that seems to be a problem.

Michael