Old May 10th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RF Collins RF Collins is offline

Default terrible conditions today

wrote in
:

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:46:21 AM UTC+12, RF Collins wrote:
As of 2110 UTC K index is 5
A index is 63

May 8 2016

Jim MI

Hi,

Because I have no idea but routinely listen to HF aeronautical
worldwide, what constitutes a good K index and a good A index if 5 and
63 are terrible?

Also, is this regional or worldwide?

An finally, where can I find K and A indexes so that I can monitor
them daily?

I appreciate all or any responses as I broaden my knowledge from those
that know better!

Cheers,
Michael

In general:

K - index:
0 very quiet
1 and 2 are ok
3 is unsettled
4 and 5 can be a minor to moderate storm
6 and 7 moderate to major storm
8 and 9(top of scale) severe storm

Also, when a geo - magnetic storm begins, there can be some enhancement
of N-S signals and deterioration of E-W signals. After a couple of days
of magnetic storms there is electron loss to the ionosphere resulting in
overall signal deterioration. (High A index).

Also, the geo-magnetic storm is caused by particles streaming off the
sun. Due to the manetic field of the earth, the particles enter at the
poles. The result is that the effects are greater near the poles than
they are at the equator.