Old June 22nd 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Joe from Kokomo[_2_] is offline

Default Disappearance of Short Wave Time Signals at 5, 10, 15, 20kHz

Joe from Kokomo wrote:
"This type of damage occurs on a fairly regular basis -- without anything
as drastic as an EMP. Just walking across a carpet on a dry winter's day
in a home with a low humidity level can create enough static electricity
to damage some radios...no matter how gentle you are. ;-) "

On 6/21/2016 1:39 PM, wrote:

So should I just buy a new radio, so I can be assured
I have the latest and best circuitry? The G6 Buzz
Aldrin Ed is about 7-8 years old, but everything
except for the start timer(supposed to turn set on at
user-set time) works on it. AM & FM recept is flawless,
and I get lots of shortwave loud n clear between 2.5 and
30mHz, and occasionally those time signals.

So why buy a new radio? Sounds like yours is working just fine.

Sony seems to top all the Amazon reviews for compact
units, by external and internal customers. What ever
happened to Sangean?

No clue what happened to Sangean. Also, price is no indication if you
will have a static problem. The Sony 2010 was a top drawer radio but it
had a MOSFET front end and was thus subject to static damage.