Old June 22nd 16, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Joe from Kokomo[_2_] is offline

Default Disappearance of Short Wave Time Signals at 5, 10, 15, 20kHz

On 6/21/2016 12:54 PM, Michael Black wrote:

That said, I was using a Delco car radio as a bedside radio, and at some
point it lost sensitivity on the AM band, initially I just thought it
was bad radio conditions. But eventually I changed the JFET and it was
back to "normal" sensitivity", so it actually can be a problem. I have
no recollection of anything that might have done the deed, this was a
few feet of wire inside so it wouldn't have been lightning.

Unless you live in a Faraday cage, lightning can still be a problem. At
one time I had a 15 foot indoor antenna. I put an NE-2 neon bulb --
which fires at about 60 volts -- across it and ground and when a
thunderstorm got within 2 or 3 miles, the neon bulb would flash, so in
your case there was a slight possibility it could have been lightning,
but more likely shuffling across the rug or wearing polyester clothes
static issue.