Old July 1st 16, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Your Experiences With SW Tuners in 'Boom Boxes'

D. Peter Maus wrote: "Few boombox style radios were great receivers. These
were exceptions, but I wouldn't exactly call them boomboxes."

I think there is some confusion over just what
portables I'm referring to here. Please view the
following:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...87512ce7c6.jpg

Colloquially, the terms "boom box" or "blaster" were
used to describe them. And the vast majority of the
ones from the era I described had shortwave
reception - including this Panasonic - an unusual
example from this make that does have SW bands.

Typically 18-30" wide, 5-20" tall, and weighing
between 5 to 45lbs, they all fit the general
characteristics of the one I posted the link to. One
or more cassette decks, two large speakers behind
characteristic round grilles, mounted in plastic
cases of which most were some variation of the
color gray. Some larger examples could detach the
speakers.

This does not include what you and others might
think I'm referring to: pocket and table-top dedicated
multi-band radios, typically mono sound, less than
8" wide and under 5" tall.

Now that "boom box" has been clarified, you can
see why I find them so desirable: Everything in
one convenient package. So once mo

What are your impressions from any experience
you may have had tuning in to shortwave on boom boxes?