Old July 2nd 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
analogdial analogdial is offline

Default Your Experiences With SW Tuners in 'Boom Boxes'

wrote:

thanks analogdial:
"I've got a big JVC boombox. 2 SW bands and they're excessively
drifty, typical of radios with plastic dielectric tuning caps. I
never used it "

That's what I'm after! Still, the fact that those
boxes did have bands besides AM and FM
shows how far we've... regressed?

Adding SW bands is inexpensive but I doubt it added to boom box sales.
Boom boxes are normally used as portable music sources. Can't call it
regression if the bulk of the customers didn't care.

I would collect a few more medium to
monster sized used ones, but the prices asked
for the better brands: JVC, Rising, Golden,
etc, are ridiculous - almost twice their
msrp when new decades ago

Like most collectables, the prices will peak, then decline. Eventually,
people who want that sort of stuff will have all they can handle.
Later, their families will get rid of them cheap at estate sales and the
thrift store.