Old January 4th 04, 03:51 PM
Ken Bessler

"Richard Clark" wrote in message

Hi Ken,

Well, gee, I don't know how to put this, but I'd leave things alone.
There is almost nothing you can do that would be
measureable/noticeable from the other end in all likelihood -- unless
everything worked only because your antenna was nothing more than an
aircooled resistor. You could double your output and it would barely
nudge their S-meter.

Use an ordinary 1:1 Current BalUn (to answer your last question). Any
other value (one feels compelled to suggest 1:9) would be just as bad
over much of those frequencies as the 1:1 (except different
frequencies). The upshot of using a Current BalUn is the benefit of
its choking action and a 1:9 may not exhibit that as well; especially
if it is a Voltage BalUn construction.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks for the info, Richard - I went to Eham.net and read the
reviews on the all bander. Not all were good so I started looking
at the other reviews for ideas. Found the MFJ-1788 G5RV
antenna. I'm usually a bit suspicious about MFJ products but
this one got good reviews.

So, what do you think about the G5RV for my situation? The
apex would be at 35' and the ends would be about 20' The 34'
of ladder line would reach my window feedpoint just fine then
I could make a coax choke (MFJ says 10 turns @ 4-6" dia) and
then feed it to my LDG tuner. the coax run would be about 8'.

A note on choke construction - I use plastic forms to wind the
coax then glue the turns together with superglue and baking
soda. I only have two smooth plastic forms avaiable - a 2-5/8"
and a 5 inch. So, I could make a 10 turn, 5" dia choke for this
new antenna.

Your thoughts?

Ken KG0WX