Old January 13th 05, 01:59 AM
Wes Stewart

wrote:
|So I consider the statement that 1db is insignificant
|a bit over the top when one is working with antennas and what one can
|achieve what others can't.
|
|Hi all,
|
|This "over the top" and other straining to get a "louder" signal begs
|a real number - like 1dB. Such testimonials (negative or positive)
|are emotional comparisons.

One of the biggest thrills I've had in my amateur radio career was
pressing the key and 2.5 seconds later hearing my signal returning
from the moon. I will confess, this was an emotional response [g].
One dB does make a difference. One dB difference in transmission line
loss or antenna gain makes a hell of a difference.

I also got emotional when VU4RBI barely came up out of the noise and I
worked her a few days before the great flood or last night when 3G0YM
gave me a 59 report on 20M and not being able to tell him he was S0, I
fibbed and gave him a 53.